Understanding the earth in its totality, transcending the boundaries of disciplines and gaining knowledge on the interactive and competing processes that shape the earth, from its evolution to the present status of ever increasing demand for natural resources, call for an all encompassing and multidisciplinary approach. Establishment of CESS in 1978 by Prof. C. Karunakaran was a recognition and realisation of this need to study earth's process in its total perspective.
News and Events
Swachh Bharat Mission Launched at NCESS
Swachh Bharat Mission Programme was laun... More
- National Workshop on Continental Crust and Cover Sequences in the evolution of Indian Subcontinent- January... More
- Observance of Communal Harmony Campaign Week and Flag Day of the NFCH- 19th to 25th November 2014... More
- Observance of Vigilance Awareness Week - 2014... More
Earth Science News
Where did the missing oil go? New study says some is sitting on the Gulf floor
29 January 2015 @ 8:15 pmSome 6 million to 10 million gallons of oil from the BP oil spill are buried in the sediment on the ...
Public and scientists express strikingly different views about science-related issues
29 January 2015 @ 7:30 pmDespite similar views about the overall place of science in America, the general public and scientis ...
Iceland rises as its glaciers melt from climate change
29 January 2015 @ 4:37 pmEarth's crust under Iceland is rebounding as global warming melts the island's great ice caps. In so ...
Vision & Mission
Vision : To excel in solid earth research and its applications'
Mission : Foster multidisciplinary research in emerging areas of solid earth science, provide services by utilizing this knowledge for earth science applications and generate leadership capabilities in the selected areas.
Areas of Research
NCESS is a premier institute in India that has strong linkages to researches and studies related to the Earth System. The major two areas are Earth System Dynamics and Earth Science Applications.
Facilities at NCESS
National Centre for Earth Science Studies is having many facilities for conducting scientific studies and analysis, the research laboratories are well equipped to provide accurate results about various study areas entrusted to NCESS from time to time.
- Geomorphology and Physical Oceanography of the Lakshadweep Coral Islands in the Indian Ocean
- Buried sub-fossil logs and peats hold geo-evolution clues
- Tracing low–P metamorphism and crustal anatexis at convergent settings
- Application of IRS imagery to derive physical characteristics of a lake system